Update: Reliable sources have stated that Robert Mugabe’s jet will leave Dubai tonight. Flight radar software indicates the plane as scheduled to leave. –
Harare – Zimbabwe’s 92 year old president, Robert Gabriel Mugabe was late last night reported to be dead / or fighting for his life at a Dubai hospital in the United Arab Emirates.
Unconfirmed reports on online publications claim that he has already passed on, while conventional News agencies reported that the Presidential Spokesperson George Charamba scoffed at the rumours.
While the sentiments of Cde Charamba ring true to some degree – Robert Mugabe is always reported dead at least once every 3 weeks or so – leading to Charamba describing his death as a default explanation for any kind of absence.
But, events surrounding this most recent trip have given this leg of rumours much more weight than before. Here is what we know so far.
- Robert Mugabe is at this point presumed to be alive. Rumours of his death are far fetched.
- However, his health has taken a horrible turn and the President is generally not well.
- When Mugabe attended the agricultural show, he nearly stumbled twice, and wore morning shoes with a suit.
- He left Zimbabwe for the SADC Summit, where he nearly collapsed a few times. Doctors suspected it was exhaustion as he had just travelled from Kenya for the TICAD summit.
- It was decided that he would return home early from the summit, to rest.
- His condition worsened upon arrival in Zimbabwe on Tuesday evening.
- It was decided that his situation was almost critical and he was to be flown to Singapore for treatment even though he does have Singapore doctors who had flown in 3 weeks ago to provide first hand care.
- While flying to Singapore on Wednesday, his condition worsened prompting a decision to be made to re-route to Dubai and provide urgent treatment. Flight data shows Mugabe’s flight performing a sharp turn from its Singapore route to UAE.
- Reports that the Dubai stop was scheduled are improbable.
- Sources claim that SADC leaders were told that Robert Mugabe was stepping down due to ill health yesterday, and that Emmerson Mnangagwa would lead a transitional government with Mugabe’s wife as Vice President.
According to emerging reports, Robert Mugabe suffered a stroke and is now incapacitated. Emmerson Mnangagwa becomes the interim President of Zimbabwe. The report can be read here..
This is what we know so far. Any other details will follow.