Police ban Bulawayo people from carrying weapons until November 23

751

Bulawayo – POLICE in Bulawayo have banned people from carrying dangerous weapons in the city’s western suburbs for the next three months.

The ban starts today and ends on November 23.

The police said those found in possession of the weapons deemed dangerous will be arrested to allow legal processes o take place.

Some of the weapons that have been banned include knobkerries, knives, catapults, machetes and daggers.

In a statement, the Officer Commanding Bulawayo West District, Chief Superintendent Mthokozisi Manzini Moyo, said the ban has been necessitated by the prevailing volatile political situation and had been effected in terms of the Public Order and Security Act.

“Due to the incidences of marches and demonstrations, it is my belief that in the next coming three months or so we are likely to experience the same trend of such public processions, demonstrations, meetings and public gatherings within the district,” said Chief Supt Moyo.

He said the prohibition was not in violation of freedom of expression guaranteed under the constitution.
Chief Supt Moyo said history has proved that such gatherings may be characterised by malicious damage to property, assault and all forms of public violence.

“In the spirit of promoting peace and public order in the district, I do therefore, temporarily prohibit the carrying in public (whether in public or by concealment in a public place or thoroughfare) or public display of any of the following weapons or items capable of being used as weapons: catapults, machetes and knobkerries,” he said.
Police in Masvingo recently effected a similar ban.