TWO PUPILS from Kumalo Primary School drowned this afternoon in a neighbour’s swimming pool where they had gone to take a swim without supervision.
Initially, three Grade Two children – a set of twins and a friend – had agreed to go for a quick swim in the neighbour’s pool. The third feared the water was too cold to swim in and did not participate.
Fred Ndoro, father of one of the deceased, said the two had been good swimmers. He suspected that the pool had just been treated with chlorine and that could have interfered with their swimming.
Kumalo Primary School head Musa Dungeni, who was at the scene of the tragedy, said she was compiling a report for the Primary and Secondary Education ministry regional office concerning the incident.
By last night police were still investigating the case.