Todlers Die After Eating Poisoned Maize

930

A BID by a Chivhu woman to trap rats turned fatal after her two grandchildren ate the maize that she had laced with rat poison.

According to the Mashonaland East police spokesperson, Norbert Muzondo, Bherita Raidhi, 55, of Pfumogena Village under Chief Matiza recently left her grandchildren, Prince Madzongo, 4, and Anywhere Mafuso, 3, playing while she went to harvest her crops.

However, the two children entered Raidhi’s bedroom and ate the poisoned roasted maize, which she had placed under her bed in a bid to kill rats.

After eating the maize, Anywhere followed he grandmother to the fields complaining of severe stomach pains before informing her that Prince was also unwell.

Anywhere told the grandmother that they had eaten the poisoned maize before she rushed them to hospital where they died on admission.